With a distinguished legal background spanning more than 40 years, Thomas D. Penfield has dedicated his practice to representing those injured and wronged in California and elsewhere in the United States. He primarily focuses on cases involving personal injury, products liability and class actions.
During his tenure at CaseyGerry, Tom has handled numerous multi-million-dollar cases, including:
- $40 million settlement in a case against the City of San Diego that helped residents reclaim millions in damages that was mischarged for sewer services
- $14.1 million verdict serving as co-counsel in a jury trial representing H&H Cerritos against U.S. Mineral Products, Inc.
Tom’s successes and top-notch legal advocacy have resulted in numerous awards, including:
- The Best Lawyers in America in Plaintiffs Personal Injury Litigation
- San Diego Super Lawyers
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego Outstanding Trial Lawyers Award
- Best of the Bar by San Diego Business Journal
- Environmental Lawyer of the Year by Sierra Club’s San Diego Chapter
Tom has been inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation only organization for top trial lawyers. He is also one of only 11 California and two San Diego lawyers recognized as a Diplomate of Trial Advocacy by the American Association for Justice’s National College of Advocacy.
Before joining CaseyGerry in 1988, Tom worked as a supervising trial lawyer with the Defenders Program of San Diego and then as a clinical Professor at the University of San Diego School of Law. He continues to teach as an adjunct professor at the University of San Diego School of Law and regularly lectures both nationally and internationally on trial techniques and persuasion.
Tom is a past president of the North County Bar Association. He is a past national chair for the Bicycle Litigation Section for the American Association for Justice.
As part of his personal commitment to public service, Tom has served as Chairman and Member of the San Diego County Juvenile Justice Commission and pro tem Judge of the Juvenile Court. He has also served as an Arbitrator for the San Diego Superior Court. He has been a Board Member of the Kiwanis Foundation of San Diego since 1985.