Areas of Practice
California Western School of Law, J.D.
U.S. International University, B.A., Business
Diplomate, National College of Advocacy,
American Association for Justice
American Board of Trial Advocacy
Center for International Legal Studies, Salzburg, Austria
Most Memorable Case
“My client, Ed Galik, suffered severe electric shock when a freeway construction project knocked down high voltage power lines across Highway 101 in front of his car in Oxnard, California. Three or four separate law firms had sequentially worked on the case for Mr. Galik and his wife against a dozen defendants for over a year before the family came to us and asked for help. Each of the previous law firms ultimately rejected the case because they thought it was unwinnable. The lawyers on all sides were battling, hurling insults, and generally at each other’s throats. The file itself had physically expanded to fill dozens of file boxes with no end in sight.
We were able to re-establish a professional relationship amongst all of the lawyers, organize the files, propound discovery and notice depositions across several states to get the case back on track. We located and retained experts to establish liability, and causation of the terrible medical consequences that resulted from the severe electric shock which had left Mr. Galik an invalid.
Eventually, after we prosecuted the case for two years, a multi-day mediation resulted in a resolution that provided for the Galiks for the rest of their lives.”
– Thomas D. Penfield
Thomas D. Penfield finds that his work as an attorney enables him to make a positive impact on the lives of others. “I help people with serious injuries put their lives back together,” he says.
With a distinguished legal background, he has been inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates – an invitation only organization for top trial lawyers – and is one of only 11 California and two San Diego lawyers recognized as a Diplomate of Trial Advocacy by the American Association for Justice’s National College of Advocacy.
He was a supervising trial lawyer with the Defenders Program of San Diego and then a clinical Professor at the University of San Diego School of Law before joining CaseyGerry in 1988. He continues to teach as an adjunct professor at the University of San Diego School of Law and regularly lectures both nationally and internationally on trial techniques and persuasion.
During his tenure with the firm, he has handled numerous multi-million dollar cases, concentrating his practice on personal injury, products liability and class actions, including serving as co-counsel in a jury trial representing H&H Cerritos against U.S. Mineral Products, Inc. – obtaining a $14.1 million verdict. He has also been involved in numerous class action lawsuits, including a case against the City of San Diego – an effort that helped residents reclaim millions in damages that was mischarged for sewer services – which was settled for $40 million.
His efforts have resulted in numerous awards, including the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego “Outstanding Trial Lawyer” award and a “Lawyer of the Year” honor from the Sierra Club.
He is a past president of the North County Bar Association, and a past national chair for the Bicycle Litigation Section for the American Association for Justice.
In his spare time, he enjoys photography, jogging and singing, and formerly played guitar in a popular local rock band.
- Super Lawyers 2020
- Lawdragon 500 2020
- Best Lawyers 2020
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member
- 2019 San Diego Super Lawyers, Top 10 San Diego Lawyers
- 2019 Best Lawyers
- 2018 edition of San Diego Super Lawyers
- 2016 Consumer Attorneys of San Diego’s Outstanding Trial Lawyers Award
- 2014 San Diego Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- 2013 Diplomate of Trial Advocacy, American Association for Justice
- 2011 Top Attorneys 2011, San Diego Metropolitan Magazine
- 2011 Top Attorneys 2011-2014; San Diego Magazine
- 2011-2017 Best Lawyers in America
- 2008-2017 San Diego Super Lawyers
- 2008-2017 Top Attorney’s 2009, 2012; San Diego Daily Transcript
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Bar Association North San Diego County, Past-President
- American Association for Justice, National College of Advocacy, Diplomate (One of only 9 in California to have earned such recognition)
- American Inns of Court, Chapter 303, Master
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Member
- CaseyGerry Partners Lauded by Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- CaseyGerry Attorneys Listed in 2017 Super Lawyers
- Seven CaseyGerry Partners Recognized by Best Lawyers
- CaseyGerry Attorneys Featured in Super Lawyers
- CaseyGerry Recognized in Best Lawyers
- Looking for Signals in Bicycle Cases
- A Powerhouse Battle
- CaseyGerry attorney recognized by world’s largest trial bar
- Really? Cycling Is the Top Sport for Head Injuries
- Chula Vista Fights Cell Phone Taxes: Update
- Jury Rules in Favor of Student Injured During Vocational Class
- CaseyGerry giving back through education
- Trial Date Set For Chula Vista Class Action
- Kiwanis Club of San Diego, Member 1985-Present
CaseyGerry Awards & Recognition