David. S. Casey, Jr. leads CaseyGerry in obtaining multi-million-dollar results each year in a range of complex cases. He has achieved dozens of high-profile verdicts and settlements over his 40-year legal career.
A graduate of USD School of Law, David joined his late father’s firm in 1976 after working as a prosecutor in the San Diego City Attorney’s office and trying more than 70 jury trials.
David has led a number of complex litigation matters, including:
- $15 billion settlement with Volkswagen as a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in MDL No. 2672, In Re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices And Products Liability Litigation over the manufacturer’s diesel emissions cheating scandal. The case was the largest consumer claims action in recent U.S. history.
- Multidistrict litigation against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV titled In Re: Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep EcoDiesel Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation as a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee. The presiding judge noted that he is inclined to preliminarily approve a settlement in the litigation regarding the emission-cheating devices installed in vehicles.
- A confidential settlement with the U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company over the death of baseball legend Tony Gwynn.
David also helped create the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund mandated by the U.S. Congress. The Fund established Trial Lawyers Care, the largest pro bono program in the history of American jurisprudence. That program resulted in the compensation of several billion dollars for thousands of people who lost loved ones on 9/11. David also represented American prisoners of war who had been treated as slave laborers during World War II.
Casey has received numerous professional awards, including:
- Top 10 San Diego Lawyers by Super Lawyers
- Top 30 Personal Injury Lawyers in California by the Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Top 100 Lawyers in California by the Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Trial Lawyers Hall of Fame by the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- Witkin Award in the Practice of law
The Consumer Attorneys of San Diego also named an award in David’s honor, called the “David S. Casey, Jr. Consumer Advocate Award.”